The Evolution / Creation Controversy
Arthur N. Strahler
2nd edition, Prometheus, 1999, 528 pp, references, index, ISBN 1-57392-717-1. page views.
A modern masterpiece
Science Books and Films
In this comprehensive treatment of the ongoing conflict between creationists and evolutionary scientists, well-known geomorphologist Arthur Strahler carefully examines creationists' claims of scientific evidence for the six-day divine creation of the universe, followed by the catastrophic flood of Noah, as claimed in Genesis. The creationists' arguments are examined and evaluated against the findings of mainstream science in the fields of cosmology, astronomy, geophysics, geology, paleontology and evolutionary biology.
Updated with a new preface and responses to recent attacks on evolutionary theory, Science and Earth History remains a popular and scholarly antidote to the fictions of creationism once again finding their way into the classrooms and universities. Strahler illuminates the controversy by reviewing perspectives in the philosophy, methodology and sociology of empirical science, as contrasted with those of the belief fields of religion and pseudoscience. Strahler also includes lucid criteria for distinguishing science from pseudoscience, as well as discussions of the great discoveries and developments in science that point to an evolution of life over the earth's three-billion-year history.
About the Author
Arthur Strahler is professor emeritus of geomorphology in the Department of Geology at Columbia University and author of Understanding Science.
Summation and Verdict
- Science and Pseudoscience
- Science - A Preview
- The Scientific Hypothesis: I. Formulation and Prediction
- The Scientific Hypothesis: II. Falsification and Rejection
- Physical Science and Natural Science
- Determinism, Randomness and the Stochastic View
- Science and Religion - Do They Mix?
- Pseudoscience: I. Three Scenarios
- Pseudoscience: II. The Phenomenon Explained
- Creationism - Its Roots and Tenets
- The Roots of Creation and Evolution
- A Resurgence of Fundamentalism
- The Tenets of Creation Science
- Conservative Religious Alternatives to Recent Creation
- Two Views of Cosmology and Astronomy
- Entropy and Universal Decay
- How Mainstream Science Views the Universe
- Creationist Arguments for a Young Cosmos
- How Mainstream Science Views the Solar System
- Age of the Solar System and Earth
- Creationist Arguments for a Young Age of the Solar System
- Creationist Arguments for a Young Earth
- Two Views of Geology and Crustal History
- How Mainstream Geology Views Earth Structure and Dynamics
- The Biblical Flood of Noah
- The Creationist Version of Flood Geology Vis-à-Vis Plate Tectonics
- Rapid Formation of Sedimentary Rocks During the Flood
- Evaporites and Rhythmites of the Flood
- Petroleum and Ore Deposits of the Flood
- Two Views of the Origin of Landscapes
- Glaciers and the Ice Age
- More Evidence of a Lengthy Ice Age
- Causes of Glaciations through Geologic History
- Landscapes of Denudation - Evolutionary or Catastrophic?
- Landforms of Alluvial Rivers
- Two Views of Startigraphy and the Fossil Record
- Stratigraphy and the Fossil Record
- The Fossil Record of the Phanerozoic Eon
- Evolution Unferred from the Fossil Record
- The Genetic Code - A Review of Mainstream Molecular Biology
- Mode and Tempo of Evolution - The Mainstream View
- Molecular Biology and Phylogeny
- The Creeationist View of Life Forms and Fossils
- Biogeography and Demography - The Creationist Version
- Fossils and Flood Strata - A Hydraulic Stratigraphy
- Integrity of the Evolutionary Record Under Attack by Creationists
- Inversions of the Order of Strata
- Gaps in the Fossil Record - What Do They Mean?
- Transitions: I. Invertebrates to Vertebrates
- Transitions: II. Fishes to Reptile to Amphibians to Mammals
- Reptilian Transitions
- Mammalian Transitions
- Mass Extinctions in the Geologic Record
- Living Fossils
- Out-of-Order Fossils
- The Rise of Man and Emergence of the Human Mind
- Hominoid Evolution
- Human Evolution
- Evolution of the Human Mind and Culture
- Biological Origins of Ethics and Religion
- The origin of Life on Earth - Naturalistic or Creationistic?
- Philosophical Speculations in Life Origins
- Biochemical Speculations on Life's Beginning
Thanks for your interest!